Day 2 — Stöðvarfjörður

Long hike. Lots of rain.

Making lists of things to write and topics to concentrate on.

Not many pictures because I spent a lot of time indoors.

Had our orientation at the Fish Factory building and went over what we thought we’d be working on.

Our group includes someone doing woodwork, someone doing shadow puppetry, someone doing an art book, and someone who wasn’t quite sure what she’d be working on (possibly music and/or performance art).

My focus has widened a little and I know it’s now going to include elements of mythology and a focus on water.

There is water everywhere here. So much that it’s easy to forget about. First there’s the fact that we’re on an island on a fjord. Then there’s the streams and waterfalls everywhere and the rain that causes the water to come down from the hills in sometimes fierce streams.

I often find myself missing the real weather, so I think I’m going to get a ton of it when I’m here.

Unfortunately, it’s just above freezing so all the precipitation is coming down as rain. A couple degrees cooler (hopefully next week) and this all turns to snow, which will make getting around both harder and easier.

I’m doing some cool things over on the Echoes of Iceland Patreon page (also: hey, I have a Patreon, which you can follow for free and support if you have some spare $$ and get some cool rewards), including the 9:30 Photographs, photos from the same two windows of the house we’re I’m staying, taken at 9:30 a.m. each morning. At the moment, that’s after sunrise, but it won’t be before too long. (Don’t worry, there will still be enough pre-dawn light to see things every day… but the change in the lighting should be amazing.)

Wrote the second story this afternoon and decided I’m going to try to work in a very cool (but not heated) room upstairs in the fish factory that has a fantastic view of the fjord. Hopefully tomorrow.

Wrote the 2nd of the 30 stories this evening, too. Hoping to get over the jet lag at some point in the not-too-distant future.

It’s been too rainy and too windy to take the drone up, but I’m hoping that could change in the next few days.

More to come…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *